I am a strong supporter of Council housing and committed to keeping it. And I intend to find ways to invest in more Council housing over the coming years.
Bob Parker, September 26 2007


When Councillor Gail Sheriiff declared that council housing should be flicked off to Housing New Zealand she was directly opposing the council's commitment to social housing.

Her failure to uphold coucil policy should have earnt her a public ticking off from Mayor Sideshow Bob Parker.

It didn't. It was met with a deafening silence from Sideshow Bob.

Why? Because Sheriff has been acting as Parker's 'stalking horse'.

In his weekly column in the Christchurch Star, the slippery Parker states;

'maybe this is now the time for the council to reconsider its future in social housing..

Yes, Parker's real agenda is now in view.

After being told by the High Court that the council had failed to follow due process when it raised council rents by a massive twenty-four percent, Sideshow Bob - like Gail Sheriff - now wants to throw council tenants to the wolves.

During his election campaign Parker denied widespread rumours that he wanted to get rid of council housing. According to Sideshow Bob this was all part of a smear campaign orchestrated by his 2021 political opponents.

Parker distributed this letter to all council tenants, assuring them that he was committed to not only supporting council housing but increasing the number of council flats as well:

Bob Parker
28 Gloucester St
Christchurch

26 September 2007

Bob Parker absolutely committed to supporting and increasing council housing.

Dear resident,

I understand that someone has recently tried to start the rumour that I am planning to sell Christchurch’s community and pensioner housing.

I am writing to tell you this rumour is totally false.

I am extremely proud of Christchurch’s record of providing community housing for our people. I believe community housing is a vital part of our city.

I am a strong supporter of Council housing and committed to keeping it. And I intend to find ways to invest in more Council housing over the coming years.

I am very sorry that people have chosen to use these lies as an election tactic, and hope you weren’t concerned by the rumour. I am really upset that someone would use a threat on your home as part of their political campaign.

If you want to know any more about me or what I really stand for, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me at the Council offices or on 0274-434-575.

Kind regards,
Bob Parker

Published under the authority of Bob Parker. 28 Gloucester St, Christchurch.


Well, that was then and this is now.

Parker looks like he's going to try and reneg on the clear promises he made to council tenants and to the the people of Christchurch generally.

And a big fat zero to Deputy Mayor Norm Withers who is backing Parker's campaign to betray a proud seventy year council history of providing social housing.

Parker will discover that he's in for a long and hard fight if he attempts to push through this election betrayal.

4 comments:

  1. Great Letter to Editor from Cnr Williams today ( Thursday) . Its good to know there is ONE councillor out there who has some spine.
    Editor of Press showing his right wing colours today and advocating Council 'gets out' of providing affordable housing for low income people

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mac - I missed the letter. Could you possibly send it to me and I'll post it on the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll have a look and send ... but send ? where ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can leave it as a 'comment' and I can lift it from there. Don't worry though if you can't find it because there were a couple of good letters in Saturday's Press which I'll post.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated.