SHE'S NOT AN ARTIST that many will of heard of in New Zealand, but 29 year old Mizan Kidanu has just a released a haunting single about climate change. It avoids the self-conscious stridency of the worst political pop but recalls some of pop's finest moments such as 'Talkin' About A Revolution ' by Tracy Chapman and Marvin Gaye's 'Mercy, Mercy Me (The Ecology)'.

Born in Chicago, raised in Ethopia, and now based in New York, she sings:

“i’m the centre of my world
but seven billion have a say
seven billion have a heart
seven billion find a way..”

 "I shot the videos to all my songs with the help of friends, with little money and under weird circumstances," Mizan explains. " The whole EP has been a little DIY project of mine that I am ashamed of at this point, but still love very much. I love reading, I love making short films on 16mm. Generally speaking, racism and patriarchy make me want to kill myself so I’m mostly in love with making music that uplifts people and lets them know they are not alone."


'7 Billion' is taken from the Dark Blue six track EP, due for release on November 6.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.